What is “The OG” Simple Moisturiser?
This formulation was Treebrush Apothecary’s first emulsified cream, designed to feature just the ingredients it needed to nourish and moisturise the skin, smell brilliant, and remain skin safe and shelf stable. The thick, whippy base feels fantastic when smoothed on from head to toe, and the huge fragrance selection was chosen to have something for just about everyone.
And as newer, more complex formulations started happening, my flatmate at the time declared: “Why can’t you just make the OG?”
…followed by “I can’t believe you’re actually calling this thing The OG…”
What’s in this moisturiser?
- Kawakawa-infused sweet almond oil: this is a gentle, moisturising and nourishing oil, brilliant for leaving the skin softer and smoother. As it’s more of a medium weight oil, it leaves a fine protective barrier on the skin; this helps to prevent moisture loss. The oil we use here at Treebrush Apothecary is also cold infused with native New Zealand kawakawa, giving it extra anti-inflammatory and soothing properties.
- Shea butter: soft and creamy, shea butter is regarded as having anti-inflammatory properties and can help to soften the skin. It’s often used in products that may help eczema like “Thun” and “Mellow” kawakawa balms, though in “The OG” it’s at a lower concentration…just enough to leave your skin feeling nourished and moisturised.
- New Zealand bush honey: we keep it as locally sourced as we can, too! Honey is a fantastic humectant and is packed with antioxidants, and its sugars can help soften the skin.
- Colloidal oatmeal: oatmeal can bind to the skin to lock in moisture, making it great for dry skin. It can also be soothing, with anti-inflammatory properties of its own. As it helps to form a barrier on the skin, this is the ingredient that gives “The OG” its lovely soft finish instead of feeling greasy.
- Fragrance: just enough of a delectable, skin-safe fragrance to leave you smelling incredible for the rest of your day. Or not, if you prefer the unfragranced version!
Which fragrances does “The OG” come in?
There are 11 delicious, skin-safe fragrances to choose from, as well as an unfragranced option if you prefer just the base moisturiser.
- Amber Noir: warm and rich, a little woody with a kick of spice. It’s sophisticated but unassuming, used at a fairly low usage rate in this formulation to give you a hint of fragrance all day long.
- Black Raspberry: mouthwatering juicy berries with signature richness and a hint of sherbet, this is a bold fragrance that isn’t sickly-sweet. One of the bestsellers for a reason!
- Citron & Mandarin: bright and zesty, this is the driest of the fruity fragrances featuring a hefty squeeze of citrus notes, a little floral and a faintly musky base.
- Driftwood: earthy and obviously woody, with ozonic hints that take you to the shoreline, or to a wood cabin. Notes of sea spray, oakmoss, tonka bean, sandalwood and amber.
- Fig & Sugar: with a fair whack of brown sugar and smoky sweetness, this fragrance has been likened to Bubble Tea more than once! Sweet dried fig and a hint of musk feature.
- French Pear: an absolute classic, this mouthwatering combo of rich ripe pears, syrup and spice is hard to beat. The most popular fragrance for gifts, and perfect as a hand cream.
- Guava & Lychee: another absolute classic, and one of the most popular in the lineup. Sweet and zesty, the burst of sweet guava is quickly followed by juicy lychee and a hint of lime, peach, coconut and vanilla.
- Honeysuckle Jasmine: bright, warm and wonderfully floral, this is another sophisticated fragrance choice full of both honeysuckle and jasmine with hints of neroli, ozone and a powdery finish.
- Mango & Tangerine: sweet and juicy, this is the scent of summer. As fruity as it gets, equal parts creamy mango and zesty tangerine, finishing with sorbet-like notes.
- Pohutukawa: delicately floral, with signature sweetness, a hint of green, and a woody undertone. This fragrance takes you straight to the beach, sitting beneath red blooms just as Christmas rolls around.
- Pomegranate: another cologne-like choice, this fragrance features notes of fresh pomegranate, clary sage and amber with hints of patchouli and cinnamon. Fruity, herbaceous and floral, this is different to the original pomegranate fragrance offered in “The OG”.
- Unfragranced: for anyone who just wants a thick, creamy moisturiser that soaks in wonderfully but doesn’t add any fragrance – or if you can’t do fragrance at all. “The OG” has a slight sweet honey kick naturally that super sensitive noses might detect.
What size options does “The OG” come in?
“The OG”, like many Treebrush Apothecary products, comes in recyclable aluminium tins. They don’t come in the test tubes you might see at the Treebrush Apothecary stand at farmers markets. These are not recyclable, are challenging to fill, and the lids sometimes pop off.
- 30mL sample: this wee tin will fit in a jacket pocket or bag, ready to go with you on any adventure. A great option if you’d like to try several different fragrances, or would like to take it with you on the go! This travel-safe, leakproof tin is ideal for refilling from a larger container, too.
- 100mL tin: this is a bigger tin that will happily keep your whole body nourished for many applications. Fits in your hand nicely or in your gym bag, hiking pack or on your desk.
- 200mL tin: enthusiast size! Great for divvying out into smaller tins, or by your bedside table or by the shower. If you’re keen to go head-to-toe on the regular, sharing amongst loved ones or spreading across smaller refills, this is the most economical size to go for.
How to use “The OG”:
Using clean hands, take a small amount of cream and massage thoroughly into dry skin. You can put it on any part of your skin, from hands and elbows to legs, arms and the rest of your body. A little goes a long way!
It is safe for the face, although it’s quite rich and works best on very dry skin.
You can also use a clean spatula or spoon to scoop moisturiser out of your larger tins.
Keep in a cool, dry location out of direct sunlight to extend shelf life, as this is a small batch product made primarily from natural ingredients.
Ingredients: Prunus Amygdalus Dulci (Sweet Almond) Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, PEG-20 Stearate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Honey, Glycerol, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour, Fragrance, Dl Tocopheryl Acetate, Propylene Glycol (And) Diazolidinyl Urea (And) Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate as preservative.